What a game! For the first time in MLS history a Canadian team will play for the MLS Cup! TFC v. Seattle Sounders! WOO! TFC!
Saturday was as busy a day as I can recall. It was also my birthday. The day started with a trip North to pick up a Christmas tree. One of bdot’s client’s owns a tree farm and generously offered us a tree so we were off good and early to pick one up. A good sized Christmas tree can be $75 or more, so for a few donuts we scored a tree. It amazingly fit into the Subaru (with room to spare!). It was already bundled so we had no idea what it would look like.
As you can see it is very bell shaped. Bdot had ‘just enough’ lights to wrap around its generous bottom. I’ll post more photos as the decoration continues.
The second stop on Saturday was at my cousin Marsha’s in Hamilton. She is an artist and was hosting an open house for people to come see her art. Bdot surprised me with Edwin as part of my birthday present. I also squeezed in Clyde, Lizard and a Wyatt original. You can see Edwin on my Instagram so I’ll post her son Wyatt’s painting instead. He painted a series of monsters. This fire breathing, horned monstrosity was my favourite.
My cousin clearly put in a lot of time to prepare for the open house. She looked pretty bagged – and it was quite busy in her small living rooms. (She also divided the space with another artist so it was really everything in one room) She later remarked the day was successful for her. I made out like a bandit. Thank you bdot for the art, the sweater and lovely card. The new art will look great in my newly painted cave.
Two stops weren’t enough! We left Hamilton for Puslinch and dinner at JoeyJoe’s. It was actually pretty quick to get there from Hamilton mercifully. We noticed Joe has been busy. He converted the rental room in to a separate living area off the kitchen. That is pretty awesome. Eventually Pat, Jenn and Ava arrived as did MikeMike. After everyone arrived we ventured into the forest to gather branches for the seasonal urns. It is always great to see my buddies. Mike updated us on his continuing saga with his ex-wife and kids. It seems for now he will be cut out of their lives. It seems quite tragic and shortsighted to me. It is the type of decision I fear can ruin a person. Hopefully they, and he, will persevere. Even with this somber news the tone of the afternoon and evening was bright and full of laughs. Mike was happy to have moved on and now has a new significant other. I sure hope he has a brighter future. Dinner was great as always although it was pretty over powered with vegeta. A fun night as I expected with my mates.
Sunday was quieter. We made a short stop at Glen Echo for more Urn related gathering. Then we had a nice walk in Caledon East (photo above) with the exception of the insane pit bull that lunged at Tanga. FFS people control your dogs. The evening was tree decoration and attempts to salvage old Christmas lights. This was more futile than the Sabres rate of goal scoring…
Christmas and Winter have arrived in the same weekend.
What a dramatic turn in weather… Friday was close to 17C and today there is snow on the ground and feels like -10 at night. That’s crazy.
As my birthday is coming up and my Mom’s just past… we had my Mom, Sister and Brother in Law and Boomer over for dinner Saturday night. Bdot made a delicious Pulled pork that was covered in Boozy Bacon sauce and BBQ Smoke. Yum. My Mom brought a Skor cake. We had planned on hiking in Albion Park but of course the 6 hours set aide for the hike it rained. It didn’t rain the entire week. Sigh. I spent part of the evening salvaging my sister’s laptop and upgrading it to Windows 10. I cleared half the storage space that was filled with WINSXS crap and, so far, the laptop seems to be running much better. There was some brief debate about swashing Christmas gift-giving. That was met with great disapproval. It was a night with much laughter. I got a few tasty gifts of booze and a Steam card. I’m still, strangely sorting out the stream card… Hmmpt.
My Mom stayed over Saturday night and we took her out Sunday to a big breakfast on highway 10. Since we were so close to Orangeville we stopped at the Canadian Tire there and picked up a new fake Christmas tree. The one we had lasted about 7 years but now most of the lights don’t work. The new tree is a Canvas Pre-Lit 7-ft High Park Pine Tree. Bdot wrestled with last night to set it up. It is undecorated but lit.
After Orangeville we stopped in the Alton Mill. It is always enjoyable to see the new art.
Huh! Thank you STEAM Support. I guess when I peeled the sticker I ripped off some of the printed code text perfectly so that an E looked like an F. Steam supported sorted it out within 24h. 😀
A lot of things remind me of my Dad. Certainly one of things we did together was watch hockey and go to Sabres’ games. It was almost always just us and we’d always grab dinner at a dark bar in Buffalo. Hello Sebastian’s. There are a ton of memories there. I had always hoped to see the team win the Cup while he was alive – but that never happened. The way it going now – wonder if it will even happen in my lifetime. Yes – five regulars off any roster and the team will suck but gah, it just seems each game they find a new way to lose.
The Super Moon was pretty crazy. It was really bright and clear on Sunday night. I tried to get some shots of it but they were all pretty crap. It was at its most dramatic on my Mom’s birthday. Happy Birthday Mom.
A big thank you to bdot who slaved in my man cave for two days and painted. What difference some paint makes. Soon we are looking to update my desk and maybe get a lounge chair too. *grin*
December weekends are filling up!
Clearly the US is broken. A tragic day in history.
Gah… And all the progress that Obama has made over the past eight years the clown intends to undo. We have to depend on a Republican congress to check Tr*mp. Oh gawd…
Not surprisingly Michael Moore had something to say:
“Morning After To-Do List:
1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn’t let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must “heal the divide” and “come together.” They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn’t wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that’s about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are “stunned” and “shocked”. What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren’t paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all “You’re fired!” Trump’s victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there’s climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don’t want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the “liberal” position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).
Let’s try to get this all done by noon today.
— Michael Moore”
We’ve been wanting to use the side door as our main entryway since the renovation. The whole hallway was tiled for a reason. But the door there had issues with the lock and screen and it was frankly really ugly. Friday we had a new door installed! It is a beauty. So we’ll be using that door as the primary entrance for now on. I’ll post a daytime shot of the outside tomorrow. We also replaced the silly, air sucking octagon window that was in out master bath. See ya.
The Wife has been trying to get us to eat better. I don’t mind provided the food tastes good and I don’t feel like I’m sacrificing. She found a cook called Skinnytaste who’s recipes we have been eating for a few weeks. I have to say I’ve been quite impressed. The recipes we have tried have been easy crock-post recipes that have been delicious. Thumbs up so far. I made a badass bolognese yesterday. Mmm mmm! Likely make this again soon with some minor modifications.
Well history was made today in the MLS. There will be a Canadian team in the MLS Final. TFC beat down NYCFC today 5-0… After a few goals NYCFC looked disinterested and defeated. It was the most dominant game I’e seen TFC play. On to to Montreal and hopefully some payback!
The Maple on our front lawn looks incredible right now. The leaves are a brilliant yellow. It has suffered some damage in the past few years. I hope it lives.
A thank you to bdot who has suffered in the dungeon and primed my mancave for painting. We did decide to go with Van Deusen Blue. It will be the first time the mancave has been a colour other than the original vomit powder blue. I can’t wait. More photos as this moves forward.
Wow, it didn’t rain for Halloween. It was an average evening for trick or treaters. Bdot went out with Renee and her little Spiderman. When they got back he want mowing down candy non-stop. I can’t imagine he slept.
Looking gray and miserable now however…